Monday, January 23, 2006

The good and the bad of no English TV

When we moved to Austria, Roland and I decided not to invest in the big cable package that included some American and British channels. We decided it would force me to watch TV in German and more easily learn the language. What this actually did was made me an excessive CNN watcher, forgoing any attempt at Austrian news early in the morning. Maybe I know more about the world but it's only out of laze. Sometimes I watch Fresh Prince and The Simpsons auf Deutsch, but mostly the lack of good ole American trash TV has just helped cut television out of my daily life...daily life that is...it also encouraged BINGEING.

(I just love that somehow it would be more productive to watch Fresh Prince than CNN!)

Bingeing - I started my 4 to 8 hour binges with the series 24. I can rent a DVD with four episodes of a series for a couple bucks at an English bookstore/video store nearby. During 24 binges, I was sometimes sometimes known to pick up 2 or 3 at a time. Despite the right-wing propaganda , Roland and I became completely addicted. We justified watching a FOX TV show by saying we were doing "socio-political research," looking for examples of ridiculous FOXy-type crap. (For example, please note that on 24 good guys seem to watch FOX News and terrorists watch CNN!) Really, I was just renewing a teenage crush on Kiefer.

After finishing 24 - up to the present season - I watched the entire first season of the new version of Battlestar Gallactica in one weekend. Roland did not participate in this weekend of sloth and thinks I am insane. I am hooked and dying for this season to end so the new DVDs will come out!

But, most favorite of all and the show that manages to make me cry every single episode (and speaking of rekindling teen-dream lust...Hello, ROB LOWE!) - "The West Wing." I love to see the random shots of DC, to determine down which streets characters are walking and to annoy Roland with explaining in detail how "it is impossible for a motorcade to go THAT way to the Capitol"...etc. I am looking forward to season 3, DVD #3 tonight! Until recently, I loved the fact that I still have 3+ seasons of entertainment to go. But then I heard that Leo died. And then I heard the show is cancelled after this season! I am not sure what to do with myself but know I need to slow down.

So, there you have it. I was never much of a TV-watcher before moving here but now, starved for weeks without American TV, I go on rampages! In a couple months, I'll need recommendations of other addictive series. For now, I will savor Rob's last few shows and anxiously await the arrival of Jimmy Smits!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Changing cultures is difficult, but you remain the same person. The more you enjoy the new the more your memories of the old will grow in love.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm a Star Trek geek, so any of those are addictive. And I also really liked Alias, up to the third season. It's action-adventure with a conspiracy theory, so you can get hooked. But I totally understand you about the language barrier - I was the exact same way when I would live in Israel in the summers.

Anonymous said...

To the gorgeous German girl (clearly I had not met many Germans) in a Czech hostel:
Eeek!!!! I totally know the feeling! A year in France with no tv found me in a tv coma immediately after my return....i felt like i had missed so much...friends aside of course.
love,
your czech hostel friend