Thursday, June 11, 2009

Officer Stephen T. Johns

When I log on to my computer, The Washington Post website comes up as my homepage. I usually skim the headlines a little more quickly than I'd like or than I should, and move on to whatever I'm working on - or whatever I am using to procrastinate doing what I'm working on.

But today it keeps popping up with pictures of old colleagues and friends. I can't stop reading the articles about the horrible events at the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, scanning the pictures, and reading the loving words of coworkers as they rave about Officer Johns.



Officer Stephen T. Johns was the brave security officer who died yesterday, protecting visitors and employees.

Despite being gone nearly 5 years, I am still so connected to the place and the people, and they actually keep me connected. An old colleague and friend at USHMM, Allen Burcky, spoke to The Post in the article linked above. He said "that workers there considered each other 'like family'" and I agree completely. I can't imagine making friends in any other workplace like I made at USHMM. Martin is still "my boss" to me, Leslie is not only one of my best friends but still a "coworker," and that place is still "my work." I can imagine how the place must feel after yesterday's events and also how everyone pulls together at the loss of a "family" member.

Officer Johns will be sorely missed, and I trust honored for his service and bravery. I only wish there was something I could do. But what can one do at an occasion like this? I guess continue on with my work, knowing there's obviously a need...but that seems so cliche and empty and self-important, at least now. I guess I'll just be sad at the tragic loss of a colleague.

No comments: